In the meantime…(while hoping for candy in the nice time)

A child begs his mother for candy.

And she refuses his request.

Not now, son.  You can have candy later.  In the meantime, let’s get our shopping done.

The child, realizing adults have mean times, yet full of hope, relentlessly inquires.

Then, in the nice time, I can have candy?

candy by Guillaume Paumier via flickr

Children are eager to live in the nice times.  The sweetness of delight.  Looking and searching for the pleasures of life.

Somewhere along the way, the colorful outlook dims.  A gradual loss of optimism.  A shedding of joyful innocence.

Possibly absorbing the cynicism from the adults in their lives, the brightness of hope often fades.

A spiraling of negativity.

smarties spiral by gadl via flickr

I overhear a conversation while shopping for fruit.  An older gentleman warmly greets a familiar woman.  Finding an opportunity to only recount her ails, she pours forth words of discouragement.  His cheerful demeanor dissolves after only a short while.  And I notice his premature attempts to excuse himself from the encounter.

I reflect on my own countenance.

My character and my heart.

My words.

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. (Proverbs 16:24)

A remembrance of recent complaints and grumblings sour my mood.  The guilt of dull responses discolor my day.

How often do I rain on the parades of others with my thunderous clamors of criticism, howling woebegone winds  or even downcast drizzles of despondency.

Are others, those who live in the nice times hoping for the bowl of candy at the end of life’s rainbow, seeking premature departures from my company as I embitter their day?

I confess and repent.

Father, please forgive me for using my tongue to speak words contrary to the Spirit of Life you’ve given me.

Forgive me, Lord, for attitudes unbecoming a child of the King.

Your grace and mercy surround me.

But I have overlooked and failed to give thanks.

mountain by Westfield, Ma via flickr

The vibrant expectations of children call deep into the souls of those living in the mean times.

Those who focus on the forecast of thirty percent rain while the joy seekers are expecting the seventy percent sunshine.

An invitation is extended.

A bidding to abide in thanks living.

A proposition for life filled with sparkling and rejuvenating effervescence.

Expecting the nice times even in the mean times.

smarties by gadl via flickr

“And when I give thanks for the seemingly microscopic, I make a place for God to grow within me.”  (Ann Voskamp)

This entry was posted in Faith, Thanks Living and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to In the meantime…(while hoping for candy in the nice time)

1. Naphtali says:

This is very good and humbling!

2. Really good reminder! (I swear I post that as my comment on every one of your posts!). I definitely need reminders like these; I try hard to be positive and uplifting around others, even when I’m feeling down. Ya know what? Being positive usually makes me FEEL positive, too! :)

You’re right, Carrie, our emotions do tend to follow our deliberate efforts to be joyful and uplifting. First, though, it often means me removing my pride and selfishness out of the way. :(

Oh, and I love reminders. This story, in fact, is about my friend’s little boy. And I often reflect on it and am reminded to expect nice times!

3. Judy says:

I think I want to live in the “nice times” too:) Thanks for the encouragement to make our times “nice” for those around us.

Same here, Judy. And I realize it’s my choice to live in nice times or mean times. It’s also my choice to EXPECT the good out life and look for it. :)

Thank you for visiting here today!

4. Got me to thinking about how I greet my husband each day. Unfortunately I think too much of the “mean times” tumbles out first. Wonderful post. Love the candy photos :)

Oh, Brooke, I hadn’t gone that far into searching my heart for negativity. Thank you for bringing this up — the way I greet my husband each day. I’m glad you liked the photos. (I use the Creative Commons photos on flickr; so if you ever click on a photo and it takes you to someone else, that’s why) ;)

5. There are :those who focus on the forecast of thirty percent rain while the joy seekers are expecting the seventy percent sunshine!

I want to be with the joy seekers!
    lovely and true post! thanks for sharing all the sweetness … may we be like kids and seek for it always

Me, too, Susan! I am catching myself (even more since writing that post) commenting on the 30% rain forecasts in life. So, I am working on expressing gratitude and expecting the nice times!

6. Vince Chough says:

Very good reminder especially for us parents. Thanks Cristal!

7. dschondog says:

This was written for me. It has my name on it. Thank you, Cristal, for your transparency and your faithfulness to write what He puts on your heart. As Andrea Dawn always says, “Every happening great and small, is a parable whereby God speaks to us…and the art of life is to get the message.” I’m learning the art. Thanks for your part in my learning process.

In gratitude,
    Dawn

Well, you must share the “candy” Dawn. Because my name is also written on it! And thank YOU for all you are teaching me over on your amazingly insightful blog.

Blessings to you today,
      Cristal

8. snowgood says:

That’s on of the best posts I have read in months.

9. snowgood says:

sorry missed an e on one!

10. jeremynoel says:

Wow…I needed this. Sometimes I comfort myself by thinking of others short-comings…This stuff helps me stay Christ-like. And expect nice times!

I am always thankful for the ways God teaches me to be grateful and to give thanks. And, yes, anticipating nice times is quit helpful!

I’m glad you stopped by and visited for a while!

11. Caddo Veil says:

This is wonderful, Cristal! I used to be like a bad radio station, “all negative, all the time”. Now I’m no where near perfection, but the habit of gratitude is one I’ve been developing for a year–and it’s really fun!!!! These days, if I have to complain, I try to at least write it with humor…See you soon! God bless you.

Same here! God is still working the negativity out of me. At least I now recognize it more quickly and am disgusted by its filth. I read, in Jude, this morning of the “evil men.” They are described as murmurers and complainers. Ouch.