Temple Ruins (right here in Texas, y’all)

A few weeks ago, Caleb shared a news story over breakfast.

Mom, did you know the Houston Astrodome is falling apart?

astrodome

I was unaware of the Astrodome’s demise.

The once-great Astrodome, known for years as the Eighth Wonder of the World, was home to the Houston Astros and the Oilers, playoff games at all levels, movie scenes, countless concerts and other events. The beloved dome, an iconic landmark to Houstonians, has morphed into an eyesore with an appearance inside that compares to the aftermath of a war zone. (The Astrodome: From Greatness to Ruin by Anna Megan-Raley)

Caleb felt the story worthy of discussion and continued with his own thoughts.

Then, two words from a child to summarize the situation.

Temple ruins.

Being all too familiar with the god of sports tempting us with its allure, Caleb pondered the many idols once worshiped in the seats of the great dome.

seats

Even Elvis performed in the Astrodome.

Yet now, rats, wild cats and possibly snakes share the stage.

Enjoyment is becoming idolatrous when it is disproportionate to the worth of what is desired.

Great desire for non-great things is a sign that we are beginning to make those things idols. (John Piper)

At the moment, pleasures often seem justified.  The enjoyment we figure we deserve.

Amusement, comfort and entertainment soon become displaced.  Achieving a level of supremacy in the heart.

Gratification and self-indulgence reigning on the throne of one’s life.

An exchange is made.  Substituting the natural for the eternal.  Putting our trust and joy in the worldly.

A designing of our own god.

A corrupt value system of the soul.

And these temples we’re building,

the houses for our gods,

they will collapse as well.

We’ll be left with nothing but temple ruins.

If you value other things more than God, if your life is really driven by another value, then you exchange the imperishable for the perishable.

You trade the diamond for a peach forgotten at the back of the refrigerator.

You trade the ruby for a banana sitting in the sun.

You trade a bar of gold for a bolt rusting in the rain.

Flee from it.

Rescue people from it.

Don’t be afraid to name it.

(John Piper)

Photos courtesy of CBS Houston

This entry was posted in Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Temple Ruins (right here in Texas, y’all)

1. Dicky says:

Thank you for sharing this reminder with me.

2. Naphtali says:

Cristal, excellent parallel. And I remember the days when the Astrodome was an idol. I lived there. God is truly our source. Smart guy!

“Things” become our idols through deception and as Francis Frangipane said, “Deception is eventually removed when our faith for it runs out.” So, the Houston Astrodome is no longer the Eighth Wonder of the world because it is now an eyesore and no one can believe it is wonderful anymore.

Good reminders for us in your post.

Great insight, Larry. I guess it’s obvious, but I’d not thought it out that far. The deception is the link yoking us to the idol. And then, when deception is removed, we’re left with the temple ruins. I am sure thankful for the Truth to set us free from that burdensome yoke of idolatry! Always good to hear from you, Larry. I need to make more time to browse blogs so I can catch up on yours. (Unless the internet is an idol!) ;)

4. Juliet says:

What a great post! I’m reading Empty Promises by Pete Wilson right now, and it addresses the different types of idols we have in our modern culture. Convicting, but in a good way! God’s showing me some areas in my life where I’ve built idols. Oh, I yearn for His help to tear down those idols. Thanks for sharing this post!

Ooooh, I think I’d really like that book. And I believe I certainly need it. I did the No Other Gods bible study (Kelly Minter) several years ago. It made a huge impact on me. I find it’s way too easy for me to adopt idolatry; although I am thankful for quick recognition of such. I appreciate you leaving a comment, Juliet!

5. Judy says:

Hi Cristal,
    Once again, you have written a very insightful post. I suppose the world is cluttered with the ruins of all kinds of idols. The image of an empty stadium while remembering the “life” that once happened in it is a profound picture of the ultimate emptiness of our temples to self and self-satisfaction.
    Thanks for the thought,
    Judy

Hi Judy, I hadn’t thought so deeply about the parallel between the empty stadium and our emptiness — both aftermaths of paying homage to false gods. Thank you for that visual!

6. Excellent post, Cristal! Thank you for reminding me what we value and put as a priority in our lives can become an idol. I learned that we can even put people before God. It’s called relational idolatry. While it’s important to treasure our relationships with people and appreciate the things we are blessed with, I try to remember that our deepest needs our found in Christ.

Hi Danielle, I am always grateful for your insightful comments and shared thoughts. I agree people can certainly be elevated to a position in our hearts they were never meant to hold. I worked through a No Other Gods bible study (Kelly Minter) and learned my biggest idol was “me” and next on my list were my children. Ouch.

7. Danelle says:

I come here today and just thank you. I needed to read this. I need to take down some idols. Ouch but truthful.
    And the bible study sounds terrific. I think I need to look into that.
    Thank you friend.:)