Chip on my shoulder (how much does yours weigh?)

Passing by a church, I notice their sign.

A chip on the shoulder is a heavy weight to bear.

One small chip.  Setting boldly and brashly.

Ever so closely to the ear to whisper its grievances.

Nursed and coddled.  With the attention, the chip grows heavier.

Easily enraged.  Even if it unseen. The blood boils and heart pounds.

Stream - Manzanito Lake by cbruno via Flickr

One of our children was once verbally insulted by a trusted adult.

A stripping of innocence and violation of his conscience.

Defiling of the mind by vulgar and careless words.

A chip was quickly lodged on my shoulder.

A spoken forgiveness never traveling from my lips to my heart.

The burden of the cumbersome chip weighed me down.

Monterey Coast by cbruno via Flickr

Darkness accompanies the grievance.

An affliction on oneself by nurturing the weary load.

Resentment is like taking poison and hoping the other person dies. (St. Augustine)

Venom traveling through the veins.  Contamination corrupting the conscience.

A choice must be made.  Harbor the resentment.  Drink the poison.

Or release the burden.

HDR Beale Falls by cbruno via Flickr

Embracing liberty and freedom.

Forgiveness is not an emotion.

Forgiveness is an act of the will.

And the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.  (Corrie Ten Boom)

The soul feeling cold, but the warmth of a willing heart follows the act of pardon.

A spring of refreshment floods the spirit.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. (Mark Twain)

Purging of darkness. Filling of Light.

Burney Falls by cbruno via Flickr

Trusting God to heal and restore.

For if you forgive people their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins, leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment], your heavenly Father will also forgive you. (Matthew 6:14 AMP)

Giving the gavel back to the Judge.

Realizing my own need for forgiveness.

He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven. (Thomas Fuller)

And being released to live fully for Christ.

Without the weight of the chip on the shoulder, I’ve found it easier to refuse to tiptoe.

This entry was posted in Faith and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Chip on my shoulder (how much does yours weigh?)

1. Such a beautiful, honest and relateable writing from one Momma’s heart to another. Thank you! Have a wonderfully blessed weekend with all your guys! :) Shannon

2. Desiray says:

One thing about a chip on your shoulder if you keep it there to long it will wear you down to almost nothing, as my parents would tell us knock that chip right off your shoulder.

Great post and I want to wish you a very Blessed Mother’s Day tomorrow…

Great advice, Desiray! Knock the chip off!! It does certainly wear us down. And it hurts us rather than the person we’re attempting to injure. Happy Mother’s Day to you, as well!

“…One of our children was once verbally insulted by a trusted adult…”

I generally handle insults without giving much thought to them, but if you pick on my wife, our children, and grandchildren, look out! I may be in your face and seek forgiveness later.

Well, Larry, it appears we certainly have something in common. Unfortunately, I didn’t handle the situation with grace. It was an in-your-face moment. The “protective mother hen” instinct arose quickly. And then the chip arrived and lodged comfortably on my shoulder. :(

4. Dan Lacich says:

Cristal, thanks for being so transparent. I love the Augustine quote and am sure I will use/share it soon. Dan

Thank you, Dan. Augustine quotes are always a treat! I am enjoying your recent blog posts, as well. (Thankful you tackled Obama’s recent approval of homosexual marriage). :)

5. pbus1 says:

“To forgive is to set a prisoner free, and discover that the prisoner was you.” Wonderful lesson, Cristal. I liked the St. Augustine quote too! God bless!

Paulette

I love that quote, Paulette! We are bound and in chains when harboring unforgiveness. Imprisoned by our own will. Thank you for adding your thoughts!

6. Dicky says:

Forgiving others is not an easy task, but we as Christians must obey the Lord who has forgiven our sins on the Cross. Thank you for sharing this lovely post with us.

I agree, Dicky. Forgiving has never been easy. God certainly knew it’d be this way for us. But, He made provision. And through His Holy Spirit, we are able to release the burdens!

7. Oh, I love the “giving the gavel back to the judge” ! I’ve been studying and thinking on forgiveness alot lately – - excellent and timely post. Thanks:)

Thank you, Brooke. I so often feel I have the authority to sit on the throne. I believe the enemy wants us walking in that deceptive stupor, thinking we have the right to place judgement on others.

8. “Venom traveling through the veins.” Such an accurate description… that is EXACTLY how it feels. Great reminder to let it go and give it over to God. Great post.

9. Brilliant Post!
    In my experience, I have found it easier to promptly brush off offenses done to me by others (friends, colleagues and enemies) but have struggled doing the same at home. I carry it around for a few days than I let it go, but not with a satisfactory apology. I guess it hurts more when it comes from those closest to you. I pray that I can be more prompt “letting it go” at home.

Walter, I feel the same. I am not sure why I assume I can treat my family differently and expect them to make allowances for my ungracious behavior. Thank you for pointing out this truth.

10. Pingback: Taking a Shoulder ride | ReeknittingwordswithGod