Don’t ditch your swim trunks (hope and swimming holes)

In my early years of social work, I had the privilege of transporting foster children to their medical appointments and family visits.  One of my favorite children was Arthur.

Arthur is now an adult.  But, when I entered into foster care, he was about eight years old.

Arthur stole my heart.

And even though I no longer have contact with him, Arthur still reminds me to look for the rainbow in a downpour.

Riding in the passenger seat, this little guy would grab my attention with a sheepish grin and ask the same question each time we traveled the city together.  We could be on our way to his counseling appointment.  Or en route to visit his mother who’d be strung out on drugs upon our arrival.

Regardless, Arthur would giggle, squirm in his seat and inquire.

Can you guess what I got on, Mrs. Cristal?

As if I’d never entertained this exact thought in my life with Arthur, I’d take the bait.

Well, Arthur, I can see what you’re wearing.  I don’t have to guess!

Small giggles exploded into a belly full of laughter.

No, Mrs. Cristal!  You’re wrong!

I got on my swimming trunks!!

Again, feigning surprise, I‘d accept his playful invitation.

Arthur Ray!  What in the world are you doing with swimming trunks on under your pants, boy?

Stifling giggles, he’d look my direction with a hopeful sparkle in his eyes.

I want to be ready.

You know.

In case we find a swimming hole.

swing! by got sound via flickr

Year after year, we’d travel the highways and city streets.

Never finding a place to take a refreshing dip.

But always ready with swim trunks.

Hope never dying.

Just in case.

Because you never know when you might happen upon a swimming hole!

This entry was posted in Faith, Thanks Living and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Don’t ditch your swim trunks (hope and swimming holes)

I’ve never met Arthur and he has stolen my heart. God bless him.

2. dschondog says:

Cristal,

How many children are just waiting to do what normal children do every day and they never get a chance to because their parent is “strung out on drugs” or whatever? I don’t know how you could do the job of social worker. I wouldn’t have been able to sleep at night. There are some things I just am not strong enough to deal with. God bless you, Cristal.

Dawn

That job affected me in ways I’d not discover until after leaving. I am sure nurses and others who deal with tragedy must certainly feel the same. Thank you for stopping by, Dawn. You are quite a refreshment to me!

3. irishsignora says:

That’s awesome — what a treasure your Arthur is! It makes me a bit sad that sometimes, we think we’re too old to wear out swim trunks under our shorts :) Peace be with you! Kelly

4. Desiray says:

What a blessed story about Arthur, he knew what it meant to be ready..what a lesson we can learn out of the mouths of babes

I have learned so much from foster children, as well as my own children. And, I agree…what a lesson about being prepared and ready — even for blessings!

5. Danelle says:

We were talking about having faith as a child in church yesterday. This is a beautiful picture of hope. Faith that better will come. Loved this story.

6. Liz says:

What a lovely story. Childlike faith is like no other.

7. That is the sweetest story ever! I’m sitting here smiling as if I knew Arthur myself. I’m glad the Lord has allowed you to cherish these stories as a reminder of how we should keep our “trunks” on as we wait for Him and all that He promises us.

I am thankful to share Arthur with you all. He was a precious little boy. And, I wish there a way to find him and tell him how he’s encouraged us to keep our trunks on!

8. Love this. So very touching.

Thank you, Carrie! I miss reading your blog. Maybe things will settle down for me soon and life will fit back into my routine-sized box again.

9. Tami says: