Enemies of God have fat hearts

As God so gently guides me through His Word, He carefully brings correction.

Adulterers and Adulteresses! Don’t you know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God?

So whoever wants to become the world’s friend becomes God’s enemy.  (James 4:4)

Daisies by Niallkennedy via Flickr

Adultery.  Harsh words.  Meant to bring pause and draw attention.

Companions of the world.  Adulterers.  An attachment and devotion to things around me.

God’s enemy.  The world’s ally.

You have lived luxuriously on the land and have indulged yourselves.

You have fattened your hearts for the day of slaughter.  (James 5:5)

Rich living full of pleasure.  Soaked in luxury.

Not me.  I’m not wealthy.

Not by my standards.

Half of the world’s children are below the international poverty line of $2 a day and suffer from multiple deprivations and violations to basic human rights.

More than eight million children die each year.

That’s 22,000 children dying per day.

And most of their deaths are preventable.

Hunger, malnutrition and lack of safe drinking water contribute to at least half of child mortality.

The urgency to address these inequalities cannot be more stressed.  (UNICEF)

You’ll find great plenty and abundance in this family of mine.

Soft living.

God does not forbid us to use pleasure; but to live in them as if we lived for nothing else is a very provoking sin;

And to do this on the earth, where we are but strangers and pilgrims, where we are but to continue for a while, and where we ought to be preparing for eternity—

This, this is a grievous aggravation of the sin of voluptuousness.  (Matthew Henry)

Daisy by Peter Pearson via Flickr

Gratifying a love of comfort.

Satisfying the hungry lusts.

While 22,000 children die today.

This entry was posted in Faith and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Enemies of God have fat hearts

1. joseyphina says:

Great piece! I’ve been blessed!

2. sigh… painful… a blessing to help where we can
    a beautifully written post.
    an old Russian proverb says it like this: “He who has this disease called Jesus will never be cured…”
    We keep giving from the heart … we must.

Although most of us can’t afford to help 22,000 children at once, this should not stop us from helping one or two.

Great post.

I agree, Larry. We cannot save 22,000 a day. It’s overwhelming to even think of that. I believe God can show us how to help children in ways we can manage with His resources. They may be in our own neighborhoods or community.

4. Janelle says:

do the good that is in front of you… Thanks, Cristal

5. Peter Wiebe says:

Hi Cristal, how would you recommend we start to help these children?

I am thankful you asked, Peter. As I travel to Guatemala (going back in November!), I am seeing poverty everywhere. I get criticized by many for not showing interest in the poverty in my own country. However, I do have a heart for the poor here and abroad. God has a heart for all, right? And He’s given me a passion for the orphaned children and the poor in Guatemala. So, if you’re asking me how to start helping, you’re going to get a biased opinion. ;)

But, since you asked…the orphanage I just returned from a few weeks ago had 250 children with very little help. The conditions were poor; although the children and adults there took the best care of the facilities they could manage. There were rats, lice, cold showers, etc. The children were full of joy, nevertheless. I am not sure what will become of these precious boys and girls once they age out of orphan care. Guatemala has closed international adoptions, leaving these children stuck in a poverty-stricken condition. I had an orphan-advocate from Guatemala tell me it’s a “matter of life and death” for many of the orphaned children of Guatemala.

My family is returning in November, to see what we can do to help. I know four people without a lot of resources (although much more than most of the world!) may not make a dent in the situation. But, if we can help even a handful of children as God leads us, we will have been successful for God’s glory.

Each person has their own opinions and preferences of which “relief” organizations to fund. For our family, we tend to support the little people. The local missionaries and small non-profits who we know personally and witness being the hands and feet of Christ. If you’re interested in that information, you can contact me (link at top of page) and I’d be glad to share!

6. The statistics are staggering. Thank you for sharing and for what you’re doing to make a difference. You put faces to the statistics, making it real, making it non-ignorable … if that’s a real word :)